Wednesday, July 10, 2013

ONE love... for there is ONLY one.

So coming home from the gym last night... or this MORNING really (it was a late night... heavy bench... and bench is my NEMESIS - so I kicked it in the BUTT last night!)
Anyway.... coming home from the gym - this new Macklemore song comes on.  "SAME LOVE"   I had yet to hear it.  It starts out speaking... straight to the heart.... pretty intense right out of the gate.  So I turned it up and really listened to the words of this new song.
Have you heard it yet?
I have posted the lyrics here if you would like to read them
I also posted the YouTube of the song - so read along and listen.  It definitely grabs your attention and jerks a bit on those "feelings" we bury deep inside.  And if you have ANY open-minded thoughtfulness in your at all - it will set you to pondering...
.... life.... choices.... religion.... suicide......and LOVE.

I'm just gonna go ahead and put this out there.... I may offend some people, lose some friends, lose some followers or whatever.... but I just felt the need to talk about it.  Offending someone or losing friends is not my intent... but I just really felt the need to talk about this.  This song really hit a nerve

Read the lyrics and/or listen to the song - we'll meet back up at the bottom





When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay,
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight.
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-k, trippin' "
Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
Bunch of stereotypes all in my head.
I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league"
A preconceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex
Had the characteristics
The right wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made rewiring of a predisposition
Playing God, aw nah here we go
America the brave still fears what we don't know
And God loves all his children, is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago
I don't know

And I can't change, Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change, Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love (x3)
She keeps me warm (x4)

If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it
Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!
Live on and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom till we're equal, damn right I support it

(I don't know)

And I can't change, Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love (x3)
She keeps me warm (x4)

We press play, don't press pause
Progress, march on
With the veil over our eyes
We turn our back on the cause
Till the day that my uncles can be united by law
When kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start
No law is gonna change us
We have to change us
Whatever God you believe in
We come from the same one
Strip away the fear
Underneath it's all the same love
About time that we raised up

And I can't change, Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change, Even if I try
Even if I wanted to
My love (x3)
She keeps me warm (x4)

Love is patient, Love is kind, Love is patient
Love is kind (not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient (not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind (I'm not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient (not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind (I'm not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient (not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind (I'm not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient, Love is kind


There are sooooo many subjects touched on in this song... so many "touchy" subjects.  Things NO ONE wants to discuss.  All the things you have to be all "PC" about.  Same sex marriage. "Gay".   Love.  Religion.  Interracial dating.  Suicide.
Well - allow me to introduce myself.... I'm Tammy - NOT always so "PC"!!

Let's begin with the fact that it first and foremost targets and clearly SUPPORTS same sex relationships and LOVE.  And let me also begin by telling you I am and was raised all my life in a Southern Baptist church.  And you know as well as I know what I was taught about same sex relationships.  But let me put it to you like this.... yes - I was taught that it is wrong.
BUT - as a parent, you love your child undeniably forEVER.  right?!  So what happens when your child says to you "I think I might be gay"   just like in the song.  BET you don't stop loving your child.  right?  What if it's your dad... or your brother or sister.... or your cousin.... or ANYONE that you are close to?  What then?  You stop loving them?  NO.  You condemn them to hell?  NO.  So why do we as people find it in our power to "HATE" on other people who choose that lifestyle?  How do we as humans have the right or the audacity to judge another for their choices?!
I love my friends, I love my family - heck - I'll go so far as to say I generally love people as a whole.   So what if you as a woman fall in love with another woman?  you LOVE her?  Who am I to throw around derogatory words like "gay", "faggot", "homo", etc.  Who do you people think you are??
And people wanna throw the bible in as a shield.  They wanna hide behind some holier than thou mentality and damn these people to hell?  What gives you the right?
I don't understand.
I as a woman, am not attracted to women - but that does NOT make me a better person or mean that I know what love is better than someone who loves someone of the same sex.  Does it?
It does not make it OK for me to judge and discriminate against others.
I choose to wear designer jeans, they fit me better - and frankly - I just like the way they look.  Does that mean I'm better than someone who thinks WRANGLERS fit them better?
Why do we over complicate things?
We as Christians want to go into prisons and preach to the murderers and thieves and embezzlers, but then we wanna lock the door of the church when a couple of the same sex want to come in to worship God.

Another subject touched on in this song is inter-racial relationships.   I will simply mirror what I previously said.... I have not ever been attracted to someone of another color - but that does NOT mean that someone who IS attracted to another race is a bad person or doesn't know what love is.  And it does not give me the right to judge them, treat them differently or act as though I am any better of a person.  Once again - we are all the same on the inside...
For people who want to throw bible verses out to defend what they think is right or wrong, it says "Love one another as I have loved you"    Nowhere does it say "love one another as I love WHITE CHRISTIAN HETEROSEXUAL HUMANS"

And suicide.... Let's think about that.  The song says
"...when kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart... A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are"
Can you IMAGINE for one second... (maybe you can because you feel this way).... can you imagine going around day after day feeling like you have HIDE who you really are?  Feeling like no one understands and no one cares?  And being afraid that if you were honest about who you are, you would be judged and ridiculed so much - that it's just not worth it?
Can you imagine loving your family so much that you hide and pretend every day of your life in order to protect THEM from persecution and ridicule?
Can you imagine being to the point where you are so unhappy that your only solution is suicide?

How confusing and scary it must be for children growing up in this day and age.
It is no wonder that children grow up confused and afraid to be honest about their feelings.
We as a society are so judgemental that it's scary for ANYONE to be open and honest.
Everyone puts on the face that society accepts as "OK" and then you spend your life pretending that the face you wear every day is who you really are and that you are happy.

I will be the first to tell you - there are Christians right now reading my post doubting my salvation and my place as a Christian.  And that's fine.  Because I don't answer to any human here on earth.  God is in my heart, I know I am a Christian, I know I will go to heaven when I die.... and I can still say - I will to the day I die think that there are too many Christians out there worrying more about judging someone else and pushing people away from the cross for their own beliefs and agendas, than there are Christians who truly believe in loving unconditionally and that we should first and foremost "love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU"

Let the hating and judgement begin....... for I have an opinion.....

2 comments:

Shell said...

Such an honest post.

Our church did a series a while back called "the tough questions" and it dealt with things like homosexual couples and suicide and such. The bottom line to all of it was that God loves every single one of us. No one can judge b/c we all are doing something that we could be judged for.

Pam said...

Tami, thank you! If more people felt this way (and expressed it) this world would be a much better place! I was raised LDS (Mormon)and like most religions was taught that homosexuality was not right. But, I don't have a problem with it and like Shell said, it's not my place to judge. And with the teenage suicide rate its no wonder with the way people judge and teach their children to judge. Thank you again. I think I am going to write an post on this. I have so much to say, that I deleted half of my comment, lol