Friday, April 27, 2012

The Age of Aquarius...

.... has given way to the "Age of ENTITLEMENT"

A recent incident with my son (well.... there are lots of them actually) but anyway - the most recent one made me stop and think.... how and WHY has everyone become like this?

Kids (not just mine) have become so "entitled" these days.
Ask them to do something and don't get the response you want, well God forbid you punish them!  or even get upset!!
No one else gets grounded.
No one else has to clean their room.
Everyone else is going....
Everyone else got a new a car at 16....

What do we do as parents?? We as parents have to abide - because let's face it - who wants their kid to be the ONLY one without a brand new car... or who wants their kid to be the one that didn't get to go to prom....
So we run around working our butts off, driving ourselves mad... so we can "KNOW" the right people... or "PAY" the right amount of money... or KISS the right butt because - after all - it is for the betterment of our children right!!

So our kids grow up with no ACCOUNTABILITY
They have suddenly developed this false sense of entitlement.... because WE have made them that way.  The parents are so busy out doing each other (all in the name of our kids) that the kids get to just sit back and watch the world be handed to them on a silver platter.

How does this prepare them for the REAL WORLD????????
I mean really........

I'll tell you what it does.....
It produces grown MEN and WOMEN who think they can do or act any way they please and not have to answer for it.  Because it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.
"I didn't get to play in the game today because the COACH doesn't like me" (not because I missed practice yesterday because it wasn't important to ME)
becomes
"I lost my job because my boss's daughter is friends with that other girl" (not because I was late to work every day and didn't put an ounce of effort into my work)


“We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. 
But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change you're the one who has got to change.”  ~Katharine Hepburn~

I have met grown men and women who are products of this parenting..... actually not just the parents, but teachers, coaches, other adults who train children to believe it's always someone else's fault.  I have met these adults....  and they still believe they don't have to answer for anything they do.  They still believe that the WORLD owes them something.  They still believe that life will just be handed to them... and if not - well it MUST be someone else's fault.
We even as adults make excuses for them.   "Oh  - that's just .  That's just how they are"  And we brush it off.  Relaying once again - that there is no accountability for actions....
It all makes me sick
But mostly - it makes me sad

WE are responsible for why the world IS the way it is.   
WE create this entitlement.

WHAT are we doing?!!

{too harsh??}

No comments: